Thursday, March 12, 2009

G-A-R-L-A-N

i've been called many things throughout my life, including but not limited to: garland (the most popular), gaylan, gavin, garlin/garlen, garlic etc. etc. over the span of my life i've become quite accustomed to correcting people (or just letting it slide when i'm too disinterested to care) when they say my name wrong. its a fact of life for some people. if you have a different name or one thats spelled uniquely, your going to have to correct people when you meet them for the first time, or the next 15 times if they're really dullards and cant remember. it doesnt offend me tho, i expect it. when i meet someone for the first time and they ask what my name is, i immediately start into the repeat of my name barely after i get it out the first time cause i know its coming

"i'm megan, whats your name?"
"mines garlan"
"sorr..... its GARLAN"
"oh okay.....blah blah blah"

this post isnt a gripe about my name, it really isnt. it doesnt bother me when people misprounounce it (except gaylan, never really appreciated that one) or ask what it is a second time. what i'm complaining about here is when people, morons i should say, misspell it when i write it out for them! or when i am telling them to their face how to spell it and i can see that they still write it down wrong. good land, is that hard to listen to someone when they're telling you exactly how to spell your name? or is it that hard to copy the letters from a form that person filled out onto your copy? i'll tell you what brought this on:

a couple weeks ago i got an MRI on my knee. i go into the office and fill out their forms, get it done and all that. then i come out to pick up my x-rays and see right on the front that they spelled my name g-a-r-l-e-n-d. what the heck is that? stupid secretary. obviously the a-n in the english language must have been switched to e-n-d without my knowing. i've been spelling my own name wrong for all these years and wasnt aware of it! give me a break, all you had to do was copy my info right over. i personally dont think its that hard, but apparently copying stuff thats right in front of you over to something else is pretty difficult

7 comments:

Terrence and Kestlee said...

I'm right there with you Garlan! It drives me nuts too. People always add r's and h's to my name and I end up being kristley or chestley. I'll be sure to never call you gaylan. I hope that your mri went well!

iAMbarticus said...

Hey Gayland... I mean Garland... I mean... uh... dang I'm really confused now... what IS your name? You know what... maybe you should just start spelling your name right, G-A-R-L-A-N-D, and we could avoid all this.

brookeisacrazylady said...

maybe your writing is crap and she couldn't read it?

i like your name

Emily said...

You are stinkin hilarious. I especially enjoyed your blog about the dresser situation. Classic.

cori said...

i called you garland when i moved to graham the weeks i was first married...

i almost named the babies...garlan and gavin.

that's how much we love you.

there is no K in garlan. stinky brandon and his k sound.

cori said...

and why were you in for an MRI?

Derelique said...

Totally agree with Brooke on this one. I mean, G, have you SEEN your handwriting? My 16 month old kid can write more legibly than you! I remember Spencer and I actually seeing your homework in HS and thinking you were visiting some elementary school that day and brought home some kid's homework. Not gonna lie man, your handwriting is the silliest thing I've ever witnessed!